Adding fiber to your diet is beneficial to your overall health.By now, we have all heard that fiber keeps us regular and is beneficial to our health. However, many of us still have a hard time incorporating enough into our diet. Here are a few facts about fiber you might not have known:
1. There is a clear association between fiber and a healthy body mass index.
2. Fiber rich foods usually contain cancer-fighting antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
3. Observational studies have found an association between high fiber diets and a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes.
4. Supplemental fiber over 20 grams/day can help with weight control.
5. Fiber protects against cardiovascular disease.
Adding fiber to the diet can be as easy as choosing nutrient rich foods such as legumes, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Some of my favorite high fiber foods are popcorn, quinoa (a popular superfood), blackberries, raspberries and almonds.
George Guerin CSCS PPTS Wellness